TheMapPinJunkie

TheMapPinJunkie

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My Grandmother and the Queen

My grandmother was a profound influence on my life. She is largely responsible for instilling me with a love of books, quality shoes, and travel. She was my best friend, confidant, conscience, and barometer of proper behavior. She was beautiful, loved to laugh, and together we had many adventures throughout the years I was fortunate to share with her. In fact, every trip I take, I imagine how I'd describe sights and smells to her. In her age, she loved me to tell her of my travels and even though she couldn't see the photographs, she would make me describe each image in detail. I think that my obsession with seeing the world was born from those adventures with my grandmother. 

She was born in the U.S. In 1917 and was fiercely proud of her English heritage. I grew up hearing stories of 'her people', some who hailed from Cornwall and Northumberland and celebrating every holiday in the most English way possible. Each Christmas, we'd listen to the Queen's address while unwrapping gifts and that tradition continues to this day. Traveling to England every chance she got, my grandmother would spend the days strolling through Kew Gardens, having tea with relatives, or exploring the V&A. 

She would be delighted at the Queens monarchical milestone and we'd have probably celebrated it in some fashion. So, in honor of my beautiful, inspiring, supportive, and loving grandmother here are a few random shots of iconically English things from my most recent trip to London. 

I can often be overheard quoting a Granny-ism, some sage piece of advice or a life lesson. Let me leave you with one related to travel. She always said that a trip is taken three times: once when you plan, next on the actual adventure, and finally when you look at the photographs. She was right.

Granny, your absence is felt daily and you are ever in my heart. Happy birthday!







No comments:

Post a Comment